Saturday, May 30, 2015

Business Cards with QR Codes for Teachers

So after my previous QR code success, I thought I might try something new with them.  I had seen how to use one to link to your end-of-the-year video by printing the QR code on a cute card and sending it home with students on the last day.  While I really like that idea, I thought using a QR code might be a good way to get my students' families to use my district website more regularly.  So I used VistaPrint to create business cards for each member of my first grade team.  Each card has a QR code to our respective district websites. We will put magnets on the back and send them home next fall.


I used my First Grade Top Dog clip art from this blog. Other art used on our cards included Elephant, Piggie, and the Pigeon by Mo Willems, Rocket by Tad Hills, and Little Critter by Mercer Mayer.  I knew the clip art on my blog was free, so no infringement there.  But I wasn't sure about Rocket.  So I googled the author, found his publisher's website, and emailed him asking permission.  I got a response the next day.  And it was a WEEKEND!  He was fine with it as long as we weren't making any money or putting Rocket in any "embarrassing positions."  It was so fun to be connected to the real author of Rocket!  He suggested a copyright note under the picture, which was no big deal.  We even sent him a picture of the finished product for approval.  How cool is that?  The image by Mo Willems already had his signature, and I added Mercer Mayer's copyright.  Take a look!




They were so fun to make and turned out so cute!  I wish you could see them in real life.  I can't wait to hand them out.  My hope is that families will stick them to the refrigerator and scan them at least once a week to get my weekly newsletter, homework updates, our monthly calendar, book order info or download some of our favorite math game materials.  Our phone numbers and email addresses are right there too!  So convenient!

We each bought 100 cards for $7.99.  That's enough cards for at least three school years.  I used the code VPBC100 to get 50% savings!  If you order with your team, you can share the shipping costs, although it wasn't much at all.  I think it'll really pay off in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Catherine