Monday, September 29, 2014

Stop the Insanity!

Do you remember the diet/exercise guru who had the ad campaign "Stop the Insanity!"  I do, and I thought of her a several times this first month of school as I'd pause to watch my students.  Yes, I've read Teeny's letter to herself about how every September the kids are this noisy and in need of constant redirection.  There were times when I would begin to give directions and then just stop.  And look around.  At the kids.  Who were all talking and playing as if I wasn't even in the room.  And this was happening a LOT.  Another issue: I'd give directions, say, "Off you go!" and they'd go off to their desks and NOT GET STARTED!  Everything was taking forever!



Until last Monday, when I started using this on-line timer.  As part of my school's PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) plan, each class is focusing on improving a specific behavior. I told my class we needed to work on transitions, including getting started on our work right away. We were going nowhere fast, until the timer.  Thank you, thank you, online timer!  I give my class 60 seconds to make their transitions, and I show the timer on the SmartBoard.  I leave the Chrome tab to this website open all day, so I can use it in a flash.  It has made a world of difference!  Funny how turning it into a game makes it more fun. Hmm, how Mary Poppins of me.


Each time a teacher observes the desired behavior by her class, she puts a "kibble" in her classroom dog dish.  Yeah, we're the Huskies.  Our mascot is known as "Top Dog," which works out really well for me, being such a dog person.  Anyway, When my class gets 35 "kibbles" (brown pompoms) we will take our "class bone" (made of construction paper) to the office.  The next morning our principal will tell the whole school about our Top Dog class on the announcements.  Then he will bring one of our adorable husky puppets to our room and tell us how proud he is of our hard work.  The husky will get to spend the day, and I'll get to wear a blue cape with a capital T (for Top Dog) on the back whenever I walk in the halls.  Or in my classroom.  Or to lunch, or to the copier, or to the grocery store on my way home from work.  Okay, maybe not.

Anyway, it's going to be so exciting!  My students have heard many classes announced already and seen several teachers in the halls wearing their special cape.  It's very motivating.  They like everything to have a "game" feel to it, so the timer really pumps them up.  It won't be long now.  As soon as every class has made it, our whole school will get an extra recess.  Another motivator!  Yes!

Such a simple thing has made our class much more productive.  We're wasting less time and enjoying our day so much more.  We've even had time to play a game before dismissal.  It feels to good to end on a positive note.

How do you keep your class motivated and on task during transitions?  Do you use a timer too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Catherine