Saturday, September 13, 2014

I'm Trying Math Workshop! Are you?

I went to a class led by teachers in my district who teach math using a workshop method.  At first I thought, why? Well, it works a lot like reading workshop.  You teach a mini lesson to the whole class, and then break into groups.This allows you to differentiate for different kids.  I'm doing three groups.  Here is the wheel I created for us to keep track of who goes where.
The blue part is stapled to the wall.  The yellow part is attached to the blue part with a brad, so the yellow part spins.  I laminated both pieces.  The yellow wheel had the three pics on it, and the blue wheel was plain.  I only laminated the blue part so that I could rearrange student names when I need to .  They are attached with blue poster putty, which works great on laminated poster board.

After the mini lesson, the first group comes to me.  I can zero in on what they need help with, add manipulatives, and basically cater to their math needs.  Meanwhile, another group is playing math games I selected for the day (usually practicing/reviewing skills I'm teaching) with partners, and the third group is completing their independent work, usually in our workbook.  After the first round, I ring my bell and say, "Clean up, stand up!" Then I check on them as I walk over to the wheel and spin the yellow section clockwise.  Now the kids who were with me are doing their independent work. The kids who played games are now with me, and the independent kids are playing the games.

The teachers who led my class recommend having advanced students start with independent work, move to the game, and finish with the teacher.  I've been able to show them more advanced skills when we meet.  They also recommend having the kids that struggle with math meet with the teacher first.  That way they get the mini lesson and the small group instruction before trying to do the independent work.  I found it to be good advice.

Of course there are many other considerations in a successful math workshop.  Where will kids meet with the teacher, do independent work, and play the games?  So far I've been meeting with my groups at our kidney table and having kids do independent work at their own desks.  Game partners spread out in the classroom library or the meeting area.

I've done five math lessons so far, three of them workshop style.  I'm not sure which way I prefer to teach math.  Sometimes it's just easier to do things as a whole group.  I have a feeling that once we get up and running with math routines, I'll just pick and choose which style best fits the lesson and the needs of the children. Then I'll announce if we're doing whole group or workshop.  I have a feeling they might groan when it's NOT workshop.  I'll let you know.

If you're trying math workshop, how do you organize your groups? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Catherine