Monday, August 19, 2013

Setting Priorities For a New School Year

I'm so excited for another new school year.  Another chance to tweak my craft!  I have enjoyed working on projects for the classroom this summer, and I had a half-day conference with Sarah from CTCRWP that has me psyched up to teach persuasive writing again this year.  My new SmartBoard has been installed, and I spent a day reviewing its amazing capabilities.  So, yes, I'm excited, but also a bit hesitant.

From September through May, my family misses me.  We are all out the door by 7a.m., and I'm the last to return to the nest, usually at 6 p.m.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I usually go back to school on the weekend for a couple of hours just to get ready for the next week.

My husband and I have already discussed my coming home sooner.  We're toying with the idea of having a "family work hour" after dinner.  We would clean up the kitchen and all set up our homework on the kitchen table.  One hour, everyone, even if you don't have homework (read a book!)  I've never been good at getting school work done at home.  My kids are very busy and noisy, and they like to engage me in conversation when I'm concentrating.  My small dogs are very neurotic and insist on being on my lap or under my feet at all times.  So it's just easier to stay at school until I'm done with paperwork, etc.  Plus my husband has become a wonderful cook!  But I'm going to try to be home by five most days.  Anyway...

My mom sent me an e-mail that I thought was going to be something funny, like the things we usually send each other.  But this one was different.  It reminded me of my hopes and dreams for this year.  Maybe you'd like to watch it and think about what you can do differently this year to balance work and school.

Click  HERE to watch it.

I'll be back soon with pictures of my classroom.  I just can't bring myself to take pictures when it looks like a tornado has been through.  But I'm making progress! Two weeks left until school starts for me!

Have a great week!
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Catherine