Sunday, April 12, 2015

Remember Me?

I think as teachers, we have special memories of our own elementary teachers, especially those who were particularly motivating, understanding, or inspirational.  For me, it was Mr. Ron Halverson, who was my teacher for both fifth and sixth grade.  I've often thought of looking him up and telling him how much I remember from those two school years, things he said, how he made me feel smart and successful.  I haven't done it though.  I know I should, especially after what happened to me this past month.

I started teaching 24 years ago.  In those early years, I was teaching fifth grade in a different school district.  I was with them for only five years before deciding to stay home with my infant son.  I loved those years, and I loved fifth grade.  But most of all I loved my students.

A few weeks ago, I read this email after dismissing my class.  I was thrilled.  Read it and you'll see why.


Honestly, I couldn't stop smiling.  We met for coffee, and it was so good to see him!  He is all grown up, married, a daddy, and works for a university!  I wouldn't have recognized him, though.  I was still expecting the little boy from 20 years ago, just bigger.  See what I mean?

He remembered so much from our year together!  It was one of my best.  Our class had a pet hamster, parakeet, and an occasional pug.  That was back in the "good ol' days", when you could have animals in classrooms.  Man, we had fun!  Science experiments, math challenge competitions, student portfolios, and lots and lots of fun learning together.

What a joy it is for me to see that one of my many students remembers his year in my classroom with a happy heart.  In fact, he told me his memories from that year are "crisp."  I admit, a few of mine were a wee bit fuzzy.  

Thank you, Johnny, for taking the time to find me, contact me, and meet up to remember a great year. I'm so glad you did!

Now, to search for Mr. Halverson....



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Catherine